Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mint Bubbles Baby Blanket

It started out with trying to use up some Bernat Softee and learn some new stitches that involved crocheting 'around the post'. Once I had practiced the stitches for a while and got the hang of the pattern I couldn't bear to leave it as a practice swatch. I kept stitching and kept buying more yarn to finish it off. Now, four additional balls of Mint Softee later I have a completed baby blanket and some left over Mint Softee, which is approximately the same amount that I had before I started this endeavor.

This must be one of the signs of yarn addiction, right? You start out with the best of intentions, to use up some of the yarn you've squirreled away, only to end up buying more yarn. Still, the blanket looks nice. Plus, I have enough yarn left to make a matching hat, and I promise I won't end up buying more yarn just to complete the hat (hopefully!).


This is the Dimensional Shells pattern from 7-Day Afghans by Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss. It's actually supposed to be made with a chunky weight yarn and a Size N (10.0 mm) hook, but I thought it would also look nice made with a baby weight yarn and Size G (4.25 mm) hook. Of course, that explains why this "7-Day" blanket took me about two months to complete. I know I've recommended it before, but I have to once again highly recommend this book. It has a wonderful selection of patterns, the instructions are fairly easy to follow and most of the afghans can be completed quite quickly (especially if you use the recommended materials).

Other projects I've made using 7-Day Afghans:

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oooh! That's so very pretty!